BOONSBORO, Md. (May 15, 2018) – The area’s largest Earth-friendly outdoor festival featuring more than 200 Eco-friendly vendors will be held Saturday, May 19, when the 10th annual Boonsboro Green Fest opens at 10 a.m. in the town’s Shafer Park. The one-day, free festival will run until 5 p.m., rain or shine.
Produced annually by the all-volunteer, 17-member Boonsboro Green Fest Committee, the festival also features:
- A convenient drive-through, drop-off Recycling Zone with dozens collection stations, including paper shredding from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (See list of items being collected elsewhere on this website),
- The popular community Gently-Used Clothing and Sports Equipment Swap and Sale,
- Live musical performances on stage, all day by The Voice contestant Paul Pfau, Middletown, Md., native (10 a.m.-noon); Johnny & the Headhunters, a Blues and Rock ‘n Roll band led by Johnny Ticktin (12:30-2:30 p.m.), and The Lonesome Fiddle Ramblers, a Bluegrass string quartet from Hagerstown ((3-5 p.m.).
- Children’s activities all day in the Kids Zone, including the huge bottle-cap mosaic, crafts and geocaching.
- Three Silent Auctions at 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. where attendees can bid on a wide variety of valuable items donated by vendors and local businesses (See list under the Sponsor tab),
- The Wine and Beer Garden featuring a variety of wines and beers from noon until 5 p.m., featuring local wines and brews, including honey wine made entirely from honey,
- An eclectic array of food choices prepared by local organizations and businesses, including German, Greek, Italian and vegetarian fare, along with other breakfast, lunch and snack items,
- A free, green-themed photo booth,
- The announcement of the winners of the second annual Green Fest Photo Contest during the Opening Ceremony,
- The Eco-Transportation Zone featuring fuel efficient vehicles and
- A 20-page, 10th anniversary program brochure, printed and digital, containing the vendors, a detailed map, sponsors, special events and activities.
Popular local broadcaster Lou Scally will serve as honorary guest master of ceremonies for the opening ceremony beginning at 9:45 a.m. at the bandstand. The program will include the introduction of local, state and national officials, as well as major sponsors and committee members. Tony M. Music will lead a sing-a-long of “This Land in Your Land”, the festival’s unofficial theme song.
The Green Fest was the brainchild of a small group of Boonsboro citizens who wanted to
present an educational program giving residents ways to reduce their carbon footprint. The festival has grown from 84 vendors in 2009 to more than 200.
Some of the festival’s features, such as the Recycling Zone, Kids Zone, Clothing Swap and Sale and concession pavilion, have continued throughout the years, while some other features and activities have been added along the way, including the Wine & Beer Garden, a separate stage for continuous live music, the Eco-Transportation Zone, the Silent Auction, the nature Photo Contest and Photo Booth.